Is Contouring Dead?

Contouring tips

Contour and highlight

Contouring has had so much hype in recent years and has grown in popularity massively. Videos have popped up all over the internet promising to show you how to get that perfect contour, slim down your nose and make those cheek bones pop! But is contouring dead? Personally, I think it’s here to stay but it a much more subtle way.

Forget the stripy instagram-style contour that’s dramatic and fake and welcome to the party the subtle contour, namely The L’Oreal Infallible Sculpt Contouring Palette. This palette is perfect for everyday use because it’s super blendable and pretty much idiot proof, so when you’re rushing around in the morning you can stripe it on and away you go.  It’s a cream texture but almost turns into a soft powder once it’s blended into the skin. Just dip your finger in, swipe where you want the product and get blending. Even if you go a little bit wrong just carry on blending and you’ll soon have a seamless finish, it’s a lot more forgiving that a powder contour I’d say.

I have the shade Light/Medium and it includes a bronze colour that’s not too orange or too muddy and a highlight to accentuate the high points of the face. Both are matte so there’s no chance of looking like a glitter ball if you go a bit overboard. What I love about this contour product particularly is that it just adds a subtle definition to the face but can also be built up if you ever want something a bit more dramatic.

We’ve come along way from caking our faces in bronzer for the hope of that glam look (or was that just me?) and what was once a well kept secret of celebrities and makeup artists alike, contouring has now become part of our everyday routine.

What contouring products do you love for your everyday routine?

12 Comments

1. November 15, 2016 / 9:18 pm

I would have loved to see you doing contouring. I personally never got it to work! 🙂
    Swedenizer.com

• wildglossblog
      November 15, 2016 / 9:21 pm

I’m working on getting some more ‘action’ shots for my blogs 🙂 It’s super easy with a cream product and plenty of blending!

• wildglossblog
      November 16, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Yep, so subtle that no one will notice!

2. Abi Street
    November 18, 2016 / 12:04 pm

I personally love contouring, it makes me feel so much better about my makeup. I do hate those contour ‘tutorials’. I’ve never tried this palette, i always find the contour/highlight duo’s a bit orangey for my pale skin x

Abi | abistreetx

• wildglossblog
      November 18, 2016 / 3:11 pm

It’s one of those that you can use as little or as much as you like 🙂 you gotta love a bit of contour now and again!

• wildglossblog
      November 19, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Me too the more the merrier!!

3. November 21, 2016 / 8:34 pm

Oh I just read in one of the comments that you’re working on action shots. Can’t wait to see them as I think they would be VERY helpful. I’m clueless when it comes to contouring – I just can’t work with it 😀

Love, Kerstin

• wildglossblog
      November 21, 2016 / 10:30 pm

I really want to get some amazing photos but my camera doesn’t have a flip out screen so it’s a bit hard at the min! All takes practice 😉

4. January 8, 2017 / 6:57 am

I agree, I used to be really intimidated by contouring but now I do my own subtle version of contouring every day and it’s actually become a part of my makeup routine that I really enjoy!

Julia // The Sunday Mode

• wildglossblog
      January 8, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Me too, you don’t have to look like you have stripes on your face!